Since 2009, there have been 75 new episodes and films of Star Trek and they all have one thing in common: Alex Kurtzman, who started as a screenwriter on Star Trek (2009) and is now the executive producer overseeing every new Trek series. With five new seasons of Trek in production at the time of this recording, this is the perfect time to dive into our "Top 5 Kurtzman Era Episodes" with host Jim Moorhouse and panelists Beverly Falls and Captain Pike-a-chu.
• Level One Diagnostic Cycle: We get deep into the numbers that define the Kurtzman Era of Star Trek, with six different series and three films since 2009 – with lots more to come.
• Prime Directive: We&ve never done a topic that is just "favorite episodes," so this week&s Prime Directives were very interesting.
• The Order of Things: Everyone reveals their picks with the usual "Five words and a hashtag" summary and breakdown of why it made their lists.
o Secondary Systems: Our guests each list a few additional selections for the picks that just missed the cut!
• Regeneration Cycle: We recap our picks and discuss some of the interesting statistical anomalies that arose from the discussion.
• Temporal Distortion: We flashback to Episode 105 of TrekRanks and relay some of the great feedback we received for the latest in our "Scenes in Trek" series: the "Top 5 Scenes in a Corridor."
If you have your own picks you would like to relay to us, please hail us at 609-512-LLAP (5527) and record your own personal TrekRanks log to let us know your Top 5 Kurtzman Era Episodes. (Or you can record it yourself and just DM us @TrekRanks on Twitter.) Your comments could be used in a Temporal Distortion on an upcoming episode (and might get you a chance to be a guest on a future episode, too).
And don&t forget to check out TrekRanks.com for our entire back catalog of episodes and a detailed rundown on every episode of Star Trek ever.