Klingons have been at the core of Star Trek storytelling for more than 50 years, and sometimes it only takes one appearance to have a lasting impact on our favorite episodes and characters. This week on TrekRanks we deep dive into the Top 5 One-Off Klingons across the whole of the franchise and learn even more about Trek's most popular alien species. Our panel includes host Jim Moorhouse and guests Charlynn Schmiedt alongside Klingon scholar, Daniel Martin. tlhIngan maH taHjaj!
- Level One Diagnostic Cycle: This is the fourth time we've tackled a "one-off" topic, having previously tackled one-off heroes, villains and romances. (And Jim unveils a new sound effect that will be part of this episode.)
- Prime Directive: The panel gets into the details of how they broke down the category and came up with their own lists.
- The Order of Things: Everyone reveals their picks with the usual "Five words and a hashtag" summary, along with the episode in which their one-off Klingon made their appearance.
-- Secondary Systems: Everyone gets a little deeper with a few additional selections for the picks that just missed our lists.
- Regeneration Cycle: Our guests recap their picks, and we discuss some of the interesting statistical anomalies that arose from the discussion, including just how many smooth-headed Klingons made the cut.
- Temporal Distortion: We flashback to Episode 109 of TrekRanks and relay a brilliant voicemail message we received with a list of Top 5 TOS Guilty Pleasure Episodes.
If you have your own picks you would like to relay to us, please hail us at 609-512-LLAP (5527) and record your own personal TrekRanks log to let us know your Top 5 One-Off Klingons. (Or you can record it yourself and just DM us @TrekRanks on Twitter.) Your comments could be used in a Temporal Distortion on an upcoming episode (and might get you a chance to be a guest on a future episode, too).
And don't forget to check out TrekRanks.com for our entire back catalog of episodes and a detailed rundown on every episode of Star Trek ever.