Originally released on November 24, 2017
Listen to the show :
On this supplemental episode of DiscoTrek, hosts Heather and Jeff are joined by friends Amy Imhoff and Carl Wonders to discuss the impact of social media on Star Trek fandom in the age of Discovery.
Topics discussed include:
- Our individual histories with Star Trek
- The divide between Star Trek fans going back to the TNG days
- Discovery being the first televised Trek to debut since the rise of social media
- Ways the Star Trek community has changed over time through the use of social media
- Anonymity and the psychological payoffs of both positive and negative behavior on the Internet
- The importance of constructive conversation
- Herd/mob/group mentality and it's effects on fan interaction online
- Ways that we cope with negativity, trolling and hate-speech
- ... and more!