Star Trek is pretty darn close to perfect just the way it is, but every once in a while they come along and improve it! On this week's TrekRanks, we highlight the "Top 5 Improvements" in Trek, both in terms of production choices and in-universe narrative decisions. And based on this breakdown with host Jim Moorhouse and guests Katharine Robinson and Ross Webster, "improvements" can cover a lot of territory! The discussion is one you'll find only on TrekRanks and covers everything from TOS to the most recent season of Star Trek: Discovery.
• Level One Diagnostic Cycle: We discuss the broad definition of what an "improvement" could be defined as, and Jim gives one very specific example from TOS.
• Prime Directive: The crew breaks down exactly how they defined their lists.
• The Order of Things: Everyone reveals their picks with the usual "Five words and a hashtag" summary, along with one episode that helps frame their choice.
- Secondary Systems: Our guests each rattle off a few additional selections for the picks that just missed our lists!
• Regeneration Cycle: Everyone recaps their picks and discuss some of the interesting statistical anomalies that arose from the discussion.
• Temporal Distortion: We flashback to Episode 100 of TrekRanks and relay some of the great feedback we received from our Top 5 Janeway episodes.
If you have your own picks you would like to relay to us, please hail us at 609-512-LLAP (5527) and record your own personal TrekRanks log to let us know your Top 5 Improvements in Trek. (Or you can record it yourself and just DM us @TrekRanks on Twitter.) Your comments could be used in a Temporal Distortion on an upcoming episode and might get you a chance to be a guest on a future episode, too.
And don't forget to check out TrekRanks.com for our entire back catalog of episodes and a detailed rundown on every episode of Star Trek ever.